Saturday, May 2, 2009

I love HANCO'S!

Call me quick to judge, but I've assumed from the start of New York's Banh Mi Craze, which kicked off around 2007, that I just wouldn't be into it. Truth be told, it's because when I hear "Vietnamese Sandwich" I think vermicelli, unsauced, shoved into a stale French Baguette. And someone told me that they put mayo and butter on them, so add that, too: Stale Baguette, Mayo, Butter, Vermicelli.

Sounds terrible, right?

Turns out I had it all wrong, and suddenly I feel embarrassed about calling myself a person who keeps an open mind about food, not to mention, way behind the times. I went to Hanco's on 7th Ave & 10th St three weeks ago and I've gone 7 times since. Sick. I've ordered the pork sandwich every time (not spicy)*.

The Banh Mi Thit Nuong (known at Hanco's as "Pork Sandwich") starts with:

A Crunchy, Toasted French Baguette with a little butter spread on both sides.

Then is stuffed with:

Long, shredded, lightly pickled, very fresh carrot and daikon.
Sliced Cucumber
Cilantro &
The tastiest, sweetest, juiciest, sliced pork.

Then a dollop of mayonnaises.

All for $6.50

I've been going crazy and ordering a 160z Almond Bubble tea, too, which I recommend you do.





*If you can handle spicy foods then I'd save your self the embarrassment from onlookers and eavesdroppers and answer "Yes!" when the ladies behind the counter ask you, "Spicy?". I'll believe that it's better that way, and I'd do it if I could, but I can't. Don't give me flak - I'm allergic to oleoresin capsicum and there's nothing I can do about it.

No comments: